Tuesday 5 March 2013

Le Cabinet de Sorcellerie - Maissa Toulet

Maissa Toulet is a French artist whose work often includes fabulous cabinets of curiosity. Whether small scale surreal cabinets, or full blown installations such as the wonderful Le Cabinet de Sorcellerie. Here are some photos of the latter - it's like walking into a magical collection! Witchy, dreamy, I love it...






I could go on adding photos but really you should visit her website and scroll through them. I think one of the many interesting things about cabinets of curiosity is how for each person what attracts them is different - an object that might be passed over by one person could be strongly resonant to the next. But one of the things I love about this art work is how it shows how collections go beyond the individual objects that make them to become a collective experience - a collection can have an atmosphere, can create a new place by what is placed in it. Each object in close up in this work triggers a story of its own, yet the atmosphere of the whole is unique and powerful and while I love to say witchy I think that is in danger of simplifying things - its meaning is more than that. For me it shows the magic of the everyday and how there is arguably nothing more powerful or strange or beautiful than that...

I also love this individual work from her cabinets of curiosity series called La Menagerie:

I recommend you visit Maissa's website www.maissatoulet.fr

I would love to interview her for museeme... I think she is a kindred spirit...


No comments:

Post a Comment